Monday, October 4, 2010

BP4_Wiggio

Wiggio


For the last three months, I have been wanting to find a tool that would help the students in the class that I teach be able to collaborate and communicate with each other more effectively without having to use multiple programs to do that in. The group project that my class has needs to have the students in constant communication with each other and be able to share files, schedule meeting times and meet milestones so they can accomplish the group task for the month. Most of the Web 2.0 tools that I looked at either wanted you to pay a hefty monthly fee for their product or it only had limited access, which would not work. I finally ran into this program, called Wiggio, which incorporates a message board, calendar, file sharing, instant message service and an archiver all for free.

In the Web 2.0 tool, I went about seeing what all it could do. I created multiple group listings for each and every group I have in my class; I uploaded huge files to see what the limit was and it accepted them all with no problems that I saw. I messed around on the calendar and even invited a co-worker to the testing of the program to see how the chat worked. I was suitably amazed at this highly robust tool. Wiggio is pretty much a one stop collaboration and file sharing system that allows groups to be able to keep in touch with each other in real time so there is no wait for people to get back to other group members through emails or having to use multiple programs to collaborate. My next test for this program is to see if it would actually work for my class, so I am doing a test run of this system with one group currently. They will be using Wiggio throughout the month while working on their group project and I will be able to monitor their activity quickly and efficiently to see how well this works.  I even created a small video podcast showing what Wiggio looks like and all its features. I have embedded it here for viewing:



The video can also be watched here on Viddler.

In all, I am quite impressed with this Web 2.0 tool and I look forward to seeing the results of my test this month with my test group to see how this works for Computer Science and Internet Online here at Full Sail University.

No comments:

Post a Comment